The Mission, on behalf of the State Government, is willing to partner with corporates,
multinational companies, trusts, NGOs, academic institutions, organizations or individuals
who wish to contribute their own resources or funds under their ‘Corporate Social
Responsibility’ (CSR) mandate for the cause of reducing malnutrition. The Mission
invites the above organizations to partner with it in any of the following projects,
which would help in addressing child or maternal malnutrition:
- I. Adoption of Anganwadis/ projects or malnourished children. (See end of page)
- Counseling and training of mothers in child feeding and child caring practices,
- Improving the skills of Anganwadi workers, and for that purpose providing support
for improving infrastructure and quality of training at Anganwadi Workers Training
Centers, and Training Centers for Supervisors.
- Support for Training, Capacity Building of Health and ICDS functionaries: Ensuring
that multi-tiered training programmes are effective without dilution of messages.
Developing training material in the form of CDs and videos, recording and editing
of good lectures of experts for mass dissemination. Building capacity and quality
of master trainers.
- Providing extra nutrition or micro-nutrients to malnourished children in Anganwadis.
Providing nutritional support for severely or moderately malnourished children in
- Supply of fresh food such as milk, eggs, fruit and vegetables at Anganwadi level,
to make up for the deficit in protein and vitamin intake.
- Providing support for upgrading basic infrastructure in Anganwadis such as weighing
scales, furniture, provision of clean, drinking water and sanitation, books, toys
and other pre-school education items, repairs of Anganwadi buildings etc.
- Support for IEC (Information, Education and Communication) such as developing videos
for counseling of mothers or girls, raising awareness through community meetings
of mothers, developing an effective communication strategy or contents, dubbing
of existing health videos into Marathi or local tribal dialects, recording of nutrition
videos / audio messages on CDs for distribution to field level health workers and
- Support for improving the services of Anganwadi Supervisors. Providing Laptops/Tablets,
Scooties for mobility, IEC funds of Rs.5000/- per supervisor.
- Strengthening of mothers’ support group meetings, which would be organized every
month at the village/ community level.
- Support for feeding pregnant and lactating mothers through community meals, as a
proper diet during pregnancy is crucial.
- Day care centers for children below three years of age who do not come to Anganwadis.
- Support for Community based management of under-weight/malnourished children. (See
the Home-based VCDC model.)
- Developing strategies for better consumption of IFA (Iron and Folic acid) tablets
to reduce anemia, specially during pregnancy.
- Household surveys and studies related to nutrition, specially diet surveys to understand
poor dietary practices.
- Third party evaluation of govt. initiatives related to nutrition.
Besides these, some corporates may be interested in playing a wider role in developing
specific strategies, or in taking up specific projects.
Possible areas for Strategic Alliances for addressing Malnutrition in Maharashtra:
- Use of Mobile phones/ mobile technology by village level health, ICDS functionaries
for sending Health messages to the community, e.g. pre-recorded voice messages.
- Support for upscaling ‘Janani’ project for tracking mother and child health through
use of android phones by health workers. (See ‘Janani’)
- Developing Community Radio.
- Tele- medicine through mobiles, Skype, internet. Linking Medical Officers working
alone and without peer support in remote, tribal PHCs with specialists in big hospitals,
cities to provide medical advice in emergencies. Hand holding of fresh, inexperienced
and non- confident young doctors.
- Sending individualized sms health messages to the community; 'the right message
at the right time' to parents of newborns.
- Media campaigns on Nutrition.
- Developing newsletters, magazines for the Mission.
- Support for upgrading the website of the Mission.